Saturday, February 23, 2013

2/23/13 Abdominal Port Bites the Dust

Dear friends and family,

Gabrielle here.  Today we received a call from my oncologist saying the fluid they removed from my abdominal port has a staph infection.  So she started me back on antibiotics and said to report to the OR Monday at 2 to have the port removed.  She is going to discuss the pros and cons with me of putting another one in at a different spot--under my rib cage--versus just using the shoulder port from here on out.


Of course I'm disappointed the port didn't work out, but it has given me so much pain and grief, now I can't wait to get it out of there on Monday!


On a happier note, the pain in my right side seems to be responding to the muscle relaxer pills, so perhaps it was a pulled muscle or tendon.  The only problem is--those pills make me SO sleepy!  I have barely had the energy to move off the easy chair all day, though finally MADE myself go for a half hour walk. 


My boss, Gordie, and his wife, Mary came over for a short visit this afternoon and it was really great to see them.  They brought some nice cards and beautiful flowers.  And we all ate one of Daniel's Oscar sugar cookies.  Yummo!  And our friend Karen from church brought us a lovely dinner of curried soup, bread, and brownies.  Can't wait!


My friend Ted send me a great verse for today.  It is Joshua 1:9: 

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

God is indeed with me wherever I go--to chemo, back to the OR, when I can't get out of the easy chair, when I go get my head shaved (probably on Tuesday).  I am grateful to have the God of the universe leading my rope team!


Love,

Gabrielle

1 comment:

  1. Pulling for you for sure! Hoping to hear how today went (Monday)-- going to bed thinking of you and praying for your comfort, and peace! Much love, Gaby-- and to all of you!
    ~Jan

    ReplyDelete