Saturday, February 16, 2013

2/16/13 Saturday after chemo #4

Dear family and friends,

Gabrielle here.  Well, today hasn't been too bad!  A little weary, a little nauseous, but not nearly as bad as the first time I had the two drugs.  I do recall that the Sunday was the worst day that time, so extra prayers for tomorrow would be most appreciated!


I awoke to one of my favorite breakfasts from Steve--his homemade multi-grain pancakes topped with fresh blueberries and maple syrup and chicken apple sausages.  I could only eat one pancake and one sausage but boy were they delicious.  Around 11:45 we took off for a few errands.  We dropped off a prescription for a new anti-nausea drug that might not give me headaches like my current one and picked up my new wig!  Wig #2 is the one.  It is a good color and style and we bought it!  It's nice to know it's here when I need it.  More and more hair is falling out on pillows and in the shower and when I comb it.  But I'm not bald yet!


After those errands, we ate a picnic lunch in the car on the way to a movie.  We saw a matinee of a very sad movie called "Amour."  It was a beautiful film, wonderfully acted, about a very sad subject of the health decline of a spouse after a long marriage.  But the great part about the movie is that it showed what it means to love one's spouse unconditionally, in sickness and in health.  It reminded me of friends of mine who have loved in this way their spouses with Alzheimer's or Parkinson's disease, and who modeled this love for me.  I am thankful for a spouse who loves me this way...and children who do too!


Last night we were blessed with a fabulous dinner from our friend, Justin!  Great breads, cheeses, salads, and homemade gingerbread cake that was PERFECTLY baked and hit the spot.  Thank you, Justin!  And thanks to everyone who sent cards yesterday and today.  Just in case they are birthday cards, I am saving them to open on Monday!


I have some very good news to share.  One of my oncologists called this morning to report that the fluid they drew from the abdominal port is NOT infected!  Thus, they will let it rest until three weeks from yesterday and then they plan to use it for the start of round three.  Hooray and thank you Jesus!


Let me close with a verse that was in my devotional, Jesus Calling, today. 

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

Cancer has put me in a position to be still and know that He is God.  To be weak and completely out of control, so that I can receive His strenght and be reminded that the God who loves me and created me is in control.  I am learning to keep my eyes on Jesus and to trust Him with my every breath.  This is just one of the many blessings in the midst of this difficult journey.  God is with me (us) every step of the way.


God bless you all with rest and good health and something fun to do on this long holiday weekend!


Love,

Gabrielle

1 comment:

  1. May you continue to feel God's power resting on you as you go, step by step, my friend. - Christine

    ReplyDelete