Tuesday, February 5, 2013

2/5/13 Thankful heart

Dear family and friends,

Gabrielle here.  Today I have a thankful heart for many blessings.  Here are some of the blessings of the last two days.


Yesterday, I received a surprise visit from my tennis friend who now lives in Arizona--Sophia.  She brought me a beautiful, cheery decorative pillow that says "smile."  It  makes me smile just to look at it!  I also received two great cards yesterday and four great cards today!  Going to the mailbox is a highlight of each day!


Two nights ago I didn't sleep well and so yesterday I was dragging.  But last night--I think I slept an entire eight hours!  Today I have felt better and have had a good day (something I wasn't sure was possible while undergoing treatment for cancer).  I awoke to no hair on my pillow, even though people say it will fall out any day now.  I have enjoyed looking at my hair today to memorize it!  Speaking of hair, Daniel went downtown today for a fancy haircut in preparation for his UW med school interview next Monday.  He looks fantastic and just like the most handsome young future doctor you could imagine.


A huge blessing of today aside from the cards, sleep, and hair, was a lunchtime visit from my dear friends Anna and Maribeth.  They brought yummy soup, two kinds, good bread and cheese, a caprese salad, and chocolate chip cookies that Maribeth's daughter, Anna, baked.  I ate a lot!  It was so good!  Despite having lost 2.5 pounds in the last three days, I am really trying to pack the food in on the weekdays as I get past the chemo weekends.  I plan to eat another of those cookies tonight after dinner.  But better than the good food was the conversation and prayer with my lovely friends.


Right as they were leaving, the vacuum cleaner repair man showed up.  As only God would have it, he was a very strong Christian!  He saw my "chemo zone" sign on the porch and immediately asked how I was feeling, and the talk turned to God.  We had much discussion about God's love and faithfulness to help us through the trials of life.  Who knew that good conversation would come from a broken vacuum button?! 


Another thing I'm thankful for was my walk today.  Daniel and I walked about 10-12 blocks (my farthest yet) and it included going up one very steep hill by Cristwood/King's.  It felt so good to be outside and to have better energy and less pain in my incision so I could walk farther.  On our walk, we ran into Karen--a friend of mine from King's and my Sunday school class at church.  Karen is a teacher at King's and when Daniel was in first grade, she stayed after school with him to help him learn to hold the pencil correctly so he could write more legibly.  Anyway, Karen is a cancer survivor!  We had a good talk about chemo and wigs and Jesus and hope.  God's perfect timing for that walk!


Let me close my message of thankfulness with a beautiful prayer my friend Helen sent me today.  Helen is another cancer survivor!!  Here is the prayer, and for any of you who need healing of body or spirit, I hope it will speak to you as it did to me:


A Prayer for Healing


Lord, You invite all who are burdened to come to You.  Allow your healing hand to heal me.  Touch my soul with Your compassion for others.  Touch my heart with Your courage and infinite love for all.  Touch my mind with Your wisdom, that my mouth may always proclaim Your praise.  Teach me to reach out to You in my need, and help me to lead others to You by my example.  Most loving Heart of Jesus, bring me health in body and spirit that I may serve You with all my strength.  Touch gently this life which You have created, now and forever.  Amen.


Love,

Gabrielle

p.s.  I forgot to mention the fantastic marijuana-themed gift basket that Anna and Maribeth brought me today.  It contained a hippie wallet with a picture of a VW bus and the words "weed money" on it, hemp rose soap, a mix tape made by Maribeth's daughter of all the stoner pot songs one could think of and lots of snack foods for when I get the munchies.  It was FANTASTIC!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment