Friday, December 5, 2014

12/5/14 Scan Report

Dear friends and family (all readers!),

It was a week of trying to trust God, but frequently giving in to worry, stress, fear, and binge eating chocolate to calm my nerves.  At last the moment was here and off we went to the hospital this morning.  After drinking two large bottles of contrast solution, with another shot of it in my chemo port just for good measure, they CAT scanned my entire torso.  We then went straight to the oncologist's office to await the results. 

After the assistant took my blood pressure and other notes, my hero, Dr. McGonigle, briefly poked her head through a crack in the door.  We held our breaths and locked eyes with her, trying to read the news in her face.  Then came forth the two best words we could possibly hear: "It's good!"  We breathed, broke into huge grins, and began to thank God together while waiting for her to come back a few moments later for her full visit with us.  Oh my goodness.  I am still in remission from my advanced ovarian cancer!

The long and short of it all is that the scan showed no cancer and the one worrisome clump of lymph nodes remain stable.  I will continue with my maintenance infusion of Avastin every three weeks (which starves cancer cells so they can't grow), and barring any new symptoms or bad blood work, I get to extend my three month chemo break this fall with another 18-week chemo break!!! 

That means I won't be nauseous, sad, or fearful at Christmas, at New Year's, on Valentine's Day, on my 55th Birthday [2/18 if anyone's wondering ;-)], on Daniel's spring break, or on Daniel's birthday (April Fool's Day). 

I will close this short report with two HUGE thank you's.  First, I thank with all my heart (with every fiber of my being!) those of you who have prayed with me and encouraged me in a million ways on this unwelcome journey.  I honestly don't know how I, or my family, would have made it through the past two years without you.  And second, I offer unending glory, praise, and thanks to God my heavenly Father, who is always in the boat with me during stormy seas, keeping my head above the waves, calming my fears, and without whom I would have no hope, peace, or purpose for this life or the next. 

"He caused the storm to be still, so that the waves of the sea were hushed.  Then they were glad because they were quiet.  So He guided them to their desired haven.  Let them give thanks to the Lord for His loving kindness.  And for His wonders to the sons (and daughters!) of men!  Let them extol Him also in the congregations of the people.  And praise Him at the seat of the elders.  Psalm 107:29-32

Love, joy, and peace to you all this Christmas!  Now I'm off to watch a cheesy Hallmark Christmas movie which will have just what we need after the week we've had--a happy ending!

Gabrielle


No comments:

Post a Comment