Thursday, March 1, 2018

3/1/18 Sad News

Dear friends and family,

I wish I had better news to report, but unfortunately this entry is a bit of a downer.  At yesterday’s chemo session, my CA-125 spiked to a very worrisome 256.  It had been in the upper 60’s just four weeks earlier.  This is the highest it has ever been.  Even when I was first diagnosed, it was only 160.  After yesterday’s news, I’d love to see that again!  For the longest time, it was all the way down in the 20’s, so this is a big change.  A normal reading is under 35.  Although most of the time, it’s great to be above average, this isn’t one of those times!

So, I guess that new drug, Topotecan, is not working for me.  My doctor wants me to stay on it for a couple more weeks as she thinks it is too early to make changes.  We are hoping and praying that she’s got another drug up her sleeve that will be effective.  We will re-test my tumor marker three weeks from now after two more Topotecans have a chance to work (or NOT work, as the case may be).

The news was a big shock.  We had all hoped that the numbers were going to drop, or maybe go up just a tad, but this big of a change was something none of us expected.  But, in the midst of the bad news, I am thankful for so many things:

- That I have been kept alive this long, when most people with my type of cancer don’t even make it five years.  
- That I have the best family and friends a person could hope to have.  Everyone has been so kind, supportive and caring.  You are all very precious to me, and I hold you in my heart and thank God for you daily.  
- That, in spite of the rising numbers, I actually feel pretty good on many days (though other days it’s an effort to get up and moving).  Good enough, at least, to go for walks with Steve, eat without throwing up, and take advantage of free movies with the Movie Pass that the kids gave us for Christmas…next up: Red Sparrow!
- That tomorrow Daniel and I are going to see Hamilton!  We are soooo excited!  Praying that nobody will cough on me!  
- That Jericho is in swim lessons and loving them!  It’s hard to explain, but it is such a delight seeing this little “learning sponge” pay such close attention to his teacher, and get excited to be in the water.  He is learning new things all the time.  The world is full of wonders for him and he is such a happy kiddo that his joy is contagious.  I love him so much…even more than free movies!  
- Of course, I am also thankful for my faith.  I have said it before, but it bears repeating.  I don’t know how people can face a serious illness without faith in a loving God who watches over us.  He is not a crutch or a pie-in-the-sky aloof god (little “g” on purpose), but the lifeblood that runs through me, my reason for getting up in the morning.  Eyes on Jesus!  No other way.  "For in Him we live and move and have our being."  Acts 17:28

Well, enough for now.  Just keeping all of you updated, through thick and thin.  March came in like a lion.  Hopefully, it will go out like a lamb.

Love,

Gabrielle
At Cannon Beach with my love of 35+ years.


Renée and Riley playing Ticket to Ride with me on my birthday!

Cannon Beach refreshes my soul--my favorite.

Jericho practicing floating hands at swim lessons!

Daniel and me buying fancy New York City cake at a pop-up bakery in University Village!


8 comments:

  1. Hi Gabrielle - I am so sorry your news was not good this time, and I am lifting you up again for things to turn around again in your favor. God is faithful all the time, and He has done wonderful things through your story, that have touched so many lives. Your faith is truly a rock and blessing. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, DeDe! Your prayers and encouragement are much appreciated!
      Love,
      Gabrielle

      Delete
  2. Sorry for the news. Praying for you all, and love your clear testimony of faith. We love you guys! fvg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear this latest news. I am praying for your healing and adding you to my church's prayer chain. I am also praying that your food choices bring you life and health. Nancy Taylor aka N?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, eyes on Jesus! Our Church is praying for you too as I do each day. 🙏 Don't forget Jos.: 1-9. Love you dear sister in Christ! 😘 "Let there be (more) cake!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So grateful for all your prayers--and those of your church!!
      Love,
      G

      Delete